Tax Preparation & Tax Crisis Assistance Guiding You Through Complicated Tax Matters CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

Documents You Will Need to Submit to File for Bankruptcy 

Law Office of Scott N. Tisevich Nov. 3, 2023

Petition for Bankruptcy on an office tableThe prospect of filing for bankruptcy can be daunting. The sheer amount of paperwork can seem intimidating and add extra stress to an already difficult situation. However, with the right bankruptcy attorney, filing for bankruptcy can be easier. If you are filing for bankruptcy in Nevada, call the Law Office of Scott N. Tisevich in Reno. Scott N. Tisevich will ensure that your required paperwork is submitted correctly and on time and can support you throughout the entire bankruptcy process. 

Documents You Need to File for Bankruptcy

Your attorney will be able to help you locate the bankruptcy forms online. In order to complete these forms, you will need to provide evidence of your financial situation, including income, expenses, assets, and debts. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to file for bankruptcy, but you will need a taxpayer identification number. 


For financial records of your income, you will need to submit two years of tax returns if filing for Chapter 7 and four years of tax returns if filing for Chapter 13. You should provide bank statements and retirement account statements for the last six months.  

If you work, you’ll need to provide copies of your pay stubs for the past six months as well as the last two W2s you submitted.  

You must also provide evidence of other sources of income such as Social Security funds, disability benefits, and any income from rental properties. 


In order to file for bankruptcy, you will need to provide evidence of your expenses on the bankruptcy forms. Your attorney can help you to calculate your average monthly expenses using documents such as utility bills. 


You’ll need to provide a valuation of your assets. For example, you may want to include a full appraisal report for any real estate that you have in order to demonstrate its fair market value. (You may also need to submit mortgage statements, the deed of trust, and proof of home insurance for any real estate holdings.) 

If you own a vehicle, you must submit proof of its fair market value. You can usually find this online. As well, you should be prepared to submit any car loan statements, a copy of your registration, and proof of insurance. 


To show proof of debts, you can provide loan statements or bills to all of your existing creditors (making sure that the creditors’ billing addresses are included) alongside a credit report.  

Legal Records  

If you have had any judgments against you, you’re required to submit any paperwork relating to that litigation, plus paperwork relating to any pending judgments or lawsuits. If you are paying alimony or child support, you should provide a copy of the alimony or child support order.  

Proof of Credit Counseling  

You must include a certificate stating that you have taken a credit counseling course, which you can complete online. 


You will need your Social Security number and ID (driver’s license, government ID, or passport).  

How an Attorney Can Assist You

If you hire an attorney, they will be there from the beginning of the process to make sure that it runs smoothly. Your attorney will advise you on which chapter to file for and will not only provide you with the correct forms but will help you find the necessary documents. They will audit the documents and make sure that they are submitted correctly. A bankruptcy attorney can help you leave no stone unturned and consequently reduce delays or other problems with your bankruptcy case.  

Seek Trusted Legal Guidance Today

For the assistance of a skilled bankruptcy attorney, call Scott N. Tisevich, Attorney at Law, serving Reno, Nevada, as well as Churchill County, Lyon County, Carson City, Story County, Douglas County, and Las Vegas. Scott is dedicated to helping his clients work toward their goal of a financial fresh start. Call the Law Office of Scott N. Tisevich today for a consultation.