Tax Preparation & Tax Crisis Assistance Guiding You Through Complicated Tax Matters CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

Tax Return Amendment Attorney Serving Reno, Nevada

Tax filing mistakes are, unfortunately, quite common among Americans. According to the IRS Data Book, taxpayers made roughly 1,894,550 calculation errors on their individual income tax returns in 2019. If you made a mistake on your tax return, it is important that you correct it with the IRS as soon as possible to avoid potential penalties and accrued interest. An experienced Nevada tax law attorney can help you prepare and file an amended tax return.

Tax attorney Scott N. Tisevich is dedicated to providing knowledgeable guidance and dedicated advocacy in tax preparation and amendment issues. As your legal counsel, he can review your tax returns to detect any errors and explore all possible legal options that you can take to amend your incorrect return. Scott can also help you complete, file, and track your amended return, and answer any questions that you may have along the way.

Scott is proud to serve clients across Reno, Nevada, and the surrounding areas of Churchill County, Carson City, Las Vegas, and Douglas County — so call today to learn more about how he can help you with your case.

When Should You File
an Amended Return?

As a taxpayer, if you discover that you made an error on your tax returns, you are required to file an amended tax return to correct the mistake and reflect the new information. Here are some reasons that may warrant filing an amended return:

  • You received a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or other income statements after filing your taxes

  • You forgot to claim credits or deductions that you were eligible for

  • You want to correct your income

  • You want to change your filing status and dependents

  • Your company made an error on your W-2

  • You forgot to report any extra income

  • You claimed credits or deductions that you shouldn't have claimed

According to the IRS, taxpayers need not file an amended return to fix math errors because those can be corrected by the tax authorities.

Have You Made a Mistake
On Your Tax Return?

What is the Process
for Amending a Return?

There are a few different steps involved in amending a tax return. Those steps are as follows:

Gather Important Documents

The first step is to collect your original tax return, financial statements, and any new documents needed to prepare your amended return. All necessary tax forms will be needed so that you can put together a complete and accurate picture of how your taxes should be filed.

Complete Your Form 1040-X

Form 1040-X, otherwise known as the Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is the IRS form for amending a return. The form has three columns:

  • Column A – This column displays the original figures or previously adjusted figures.

  • Column C – This column displays the corrected figures.

  • Column B – This column shows the difference between Columns A and C.

  • Also, you can explain the particular changes you're making and the reason for each change on the back of Form 1040-X.

You should complete and mail your Form 1040-X to correct mistakes on your original tax return that was previously filed.

Submit Your Amended Forms

Submit your amended return by mailing all the forms and documents to the specified address. It’s always recommended that you have these forms reviewed by a tax attorney to ensure that they have been properly completed.

Track Your Amended Return

Processing an amended return can take up to 16 weeks. You can track the status of your amended return three weeks after mailing it. It’s always a good idea to track the status of your amended return and follow up when necessary.

Time Limits

The time limit for amending a tax return is at most three years. According to the IRS, a taxpayer must file Form 1040-X to amend a return:

  • Within three years from the date you filed your original tax return, or

  • Within two years from the date, you paid the tax.

Work With a Knowledgeable
Tax Law Attorney

When filing your tax returns, it is important that you make every effort to get them right. Making errors in your tax returns can expose you to potential penalties and accrued interest. Thankfully, you can always refile your taxes if you forgot to add something or need to make changes. A knowledgeable Nevada tax preparation attorney can help evaluate your returns and determine whether you need to submit an amended return or not.

The Law Office of Scott N. Tisevich is committed to providing reliable guidance and assistance to clients who believe they may have made an error on their tax returns after filing. As your legal counsel, Scott can review your tax returns, identify any potential errors, determine whether to submit an amended return and help with the filing process to correct any mistakes.

Using his extensive experience and knowledge of all new and long-standing tax laws, tax attorney Scott N. Tisevich can assist you with the process of correcting the information you provided to the IRS. Above all, Scott will do everything he can to ensure that things are done correctly and in a timely manner. So if you believe you may have made a mistake when filing your tax return, don’t wait. Call or reach out to Scott N. Tisevich, Attorney at Law today for help.

Tax Return Amendment
Attorney Serving Reno, Nevada

If you made an error on your tax return and want to submit an amended return, call Scott N. Tisevich, Attorney at Law, today to schedule a one-on-one case assessment. Attorney Scott N. Tisevich can offer you the experienced legal counsel and advocacy you need to navigate the entire process from start to finish. Scott is also proud to serve clients in Reno, Churchill County, Carson City, Las Vegas, and Douglas County, Nevada — so reach out today to receive the reliable legal guidance you need.